Monday, May 29, 2006

Apprehension

Ever feel that sometimes life is overwhelming? That feeling where you're not sure you want to do what you're going to do because you don't know if it's the right thing to do. Or perhaps when you know that sometimes there isn't a back button you can press when things go wrong. Or like when each event ceases to be just part of preparation, like homework for a test.

I'm not sure i've ever felt completely ready for any big exam. Or any big competition. I've almost never had the thrill of doing a test and knowing i'll score full marks (and actually do so). In fact, it seems as if i might even actually have a phobia of exams.

Or any big event for that matter.

I remember the time i bowled for RI... I was kinda overwhelmed by the whole experience really. Played some of the worst games of my life to be honest. Guess i wasn't prepared for the experience at all. And to think i could play games averaging 150 after training, or when just bowling for fun.

The only gold medal i ever got in a competition was the long jump i did in primary 4. There was an event clash between the jump and some other heat, and so i went to the long jump late, took off my shoes (i used to run barefoot like the ethiopian runners you hear about) and took 2 jumps. No real pressure, and i took my jumps, and i collected my medals. Perhaps then every other big thing (especially academics), i've possibly underperformed or something.

Having been through the army, i think its strange how the army changes you. I think that most guys would agree with me here, that for all its supposed be, the army really isn't much, and doesn't offer much, but somehow it transforms boys to men. Yet somehow for that "waste" of 2 and a half years some guys are given responsibility for the lives of 28 other dudes. Some even more. Yet i wonder if its ever dawned on them that maybe they wouldn't be ready to go to war being responsible for the lives of their friends? That maybe one wrong call could be a costly mistake (think Iraq). That maybe the army kinda helps, but doesn't adequately or completely transform boys to men.

Now i'm at the end of my childhood, and i suppose i should be well equipped to handle the challenges of adult life, being done with army and all. But i still dread the possible effects of every wrong step. I could attribute this fear of failure to the govt: there was a time when failure was not an option, and i guess in a way its become entrenched in our society (thus the lack of entrepreneurs, yada yada). I could attribute it to my parents' taking such good care of me and being protective(like most others). Or i could attribute it to peer pressure to attain the academic perfection that my friends at school exhibit: I just want to do well like them.

I just hope i haven't fallen whithout knowing it.


Take my hand in the meantime;
Lets walk into the sunshine.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey crummutt.

I was going to discuss with u what u want to do in medium and long term with academics and career. Whenever there are "big events" or "big decisions" I like to hear the opinion or other people before deciding. So you may find it helpful to talk if you're afraid of making mistakes or not sure what you want.

A lot of the time, we cannot be sure about the outcome of an event. What we can be sure about, is to prepare as best we can to increase our chances of a desirable outcome. And u are right, doing well without pressure doesn't mean you'll do well with pressure. That's why people practice. Again and again. In conditions as similar as possible to test conditions. So make sure you do the thing that you can be sure of - prepare well. If you fail, make sure u take away lessons from the failure to help you improve for the next time.

I don't know if you truly realize this yourself or not. If it's just me talking, it doesn't work. You have to really and truly believe in this idea in order for it to motivate you to push on towards your goals.

Ok, see u at home.

Sun Jun 04, 09:09:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Sat Jul 22, 08:36:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Hard drives for dell inspiron 8100 100 alltel kx1 kyocera ringtone Free amateur feet pictures a800 free ring tones uk Subaru legacy body kit Low back pain rheumatoid arthritis joint pain relief svx floor mats Gx cellulite treatment Mycroplasma pneumonia zithromax crop tailored sweaters sgh s100 free ring tones cool ringtones Win xp fax cartoon critters dress up games Free nextel midi ringtones

Fri Feb 02, 08:40:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »

Tue Mar 06, 07:40:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home