Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Snow

It snowed out the night before, a thin sheet of white glow, on the rooftops of the city. I peeped out of the window to see a flood of dim pink light in the murky distance, "a fog" said Maheep. I thought it should have been time, but Maheep's the resident NewYorker (in Long Island) and I'm the long staying tourist. The sun roused me from my sweet slumber, a bright mess of light rays showering the whole room with a warm glow. I glanced at the sight 11 storeys below my apartment, and i was right. It snowed at night in the East Village in Manhattan. The grey roofs were painted with a coat of white ice, shining in the warmth of the sun, which didn't happen to be too warm that morning. Nevertheless, I took a picture from my window of the spectacle that will soon cease to be a novelty to me. It snowed again last night, and again in the evening. I hungrily trudged towards "Wingz" through an imaginary field of white snow dressed in a long sleeved shirt, jeans and sneakers, feeling the wind on my face and the snowflakes falling on my skin one by one. Like little frost ants, each one took a bite as soon as it landed on my skin. Falling down from an indeterminate height, blown onto my skin from an indeterminate location, each posessing a unique crystalline shape, every flake of snow was an individual creation, every one possessing a life of its own. I chased the flakes with my tongue for a minute or two, watching as each frostie danced along with the cold wind and playfully dodged my tenacious tongue trying to touch them. And then i decided one cotton shirt was insufficient cover even for a commando, and i took refuge back in my humble abode, a pound of "Slam Dunk" (the hottest they've got) Buffalo Wings in my hand, and a mug of honey green tea on my table.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crumpsymutt,

Here's a pat on the back for you for giving us another enjoyable read. I started out reading your blog to keep myself informed of your doings and feelings and thinkings, but now I read because I really enjoy reading your entries. I didn't read much b4 u went to NY, so I might be biased, but I think u write better now than b4. The ideas are always there, but you have more interesting ways of expressing yourself now. I like it.

ABout what I think of when I think of you, because of the length of time I've known you (=21 yrs, your whole life), there are too many significant images or memories of u to just pick 1. But maybe let me list a few I thought of:

1. 8R pic of you when u were 3 yrs or younger wearing an "I love u Mummy" singlet and underwear squatting on our driveway.

2. Photo of u with your arms outstretched and standing on Dorina's (I think) bed that she took of u.

3. Me chasing u and causing u to trip and hit ur forehead on the corner wall and u bleeding.

4. OUr game knock

5. Our butt pushing game on the steps

6. Our punching game - feefee always got hit.

7. You encouraging me for 2.4km run. U bought me a snacks (some sort of ex Jap keropok, maybe calbee) coz I got gold (C).

8. U sitting on my lap and us talking.

9. U asking for warm milk at the Koeln pub.

10. Surgery check.

11. U buying me ling mongs from Bishan

12. Hey crum (Ben Ng)

Wed Dec 07, 07:25:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

13. Bosco and Prisca Pac who had a green face - the paper plate classmate drawings

14. Don't DISTURD me

Wed Dec 07, 07:28:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home