Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Poolside chilling

Always enjoyed it, always will.

Backup plan: Hennessy.

I guess I wanted to write a bit more about how this year is a little bit different for me, but I'm not sure if what's going to be said has already been repeated ad infinitum. Oh well, lets see if I can make it concise.

-----

Ramadan: Special this year for me because it comes at a time when I really am at the crossroads of my life. I really am a happy go lucky person... Taking things as they come, and so far, its all been pretty good. Maybe I've made most of my own luck, but I cannot deny that my life has been blessed all this while, and it still is. Its just that this year I've seen more challenges being thrown my way... Challenges that will define who I am for the next decade or so. Or maybe 5 years, given how the rate of change of things has accelerated so quickly in recent times.

It's supposed to be a holy month. The month where Muslims around the world show their devotion to Allah: by means of prayer, fasting, the attempt to live a more righteous life. And I think its good--I am attempting to fast as well, though not from sunrise to sundown, but still--at least for me, I see this as a challenge to master my body's urges, from satisfying its basic needs (food and water) to other more carnal desires, and of course the desire for not so fresh air. For me, this attempt to control my hunger could possibly if not probably grow the discipline in myself to quit a vice I've succumbed to for quite awhile, and all for the better. There really isn't a good argument in continuing it, because we all know of the associated risks involved with this activity.


------


I'm finding my way through this uncertainty
No comforts I've received should be granted unto me
For what I do not deserve, I should not take
And love should no longer feed the lazy

Excellence is desired, revered, an end state
Mediocrity is tolerated, but nevertheless lame
If I should be so talented,
Is my life then nothing but a shame?

It may seem too late to change my ways
Of sloth, nonchalance, and the unwillingness to be
But hard work is the price I must pay
If I should ever want to be free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home